Team Lead - Maintenance - 2nd Shift
Company: The Timken Company
Posted on: March 13, 2023
Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.Position Summary: The Operation Team Lead I is responsible for the safety and productivity of all production employees staffed on their designated shift. They ensure efficiency and quality of assembly of manufactured goods. The Operation Team Lead I is responsible for being a leadership resource, providing knowledge, experience, motivation, support and advice to associates to follow and ensure that they comply. Essential Job Duties:
- Backup coverage for Area Manager (AM) on the floor, or when absent.
- Meet with AM daily in daily review meeting.
- Lead daily department shift meetings.
- Meet weekly with Team Lead II's on issues brought up through Zone Control (ZC).
- Assure that Team Lead II's are following problem solving techniques when identifying root cause and corrective actions regarding safety, quality, and productivity related issues.
- Report hot/cold starts at "Hot Start" meeting.
- Perform "Zone Walks" per shift as assigned.
- Work with Department Planner. Determine output by work center to be used for capacity planning. Perform periodic process observations for capacity update.
- Develop standards with operators, Team Lead II, and CI/Lean Manager in the areas of safety, quality, and productivity.
- Fill out root cause and corrective action on zone sheet.
- Assure Preventative Maintenance (PM), Area Maintenance (AM), and Cleaning Inspection Lubrication (CIL) are completed.
- Audit 5S (Sort, Sustain, Standardize, Set in Order, & Shine) on Zone Walks and Layered Process Auditing (LPA). Teach operators and Team Lead II's when standards are not followed.
- Input Zone Control Data into tracking system.
- Document/input weekly performance reviews.
- Partner with HR & Area Manager of any minor employee issues.
- Assure timecards are accurate by 3 hours into your daily shift and approve vacation requests on an as needed basis.
- Audit responsibilities of Team Lead II and correct any issues.
- Track performance expectations: employee coaching, ensure that all employees have daily shift responsibilities scheduled and start/ stop times are being monitored. Safety:
- Ensure that Preventative Based Safety (PBS) program is understood and that you are encouraging participation with all associates.
- Work with Area Manager & Team Lead II and operators on fixing PBS issues/concerns.
- Stop and fix un-safe actions as they occur. Teach operators and Team Lead II the proper technique.
- Identify read across opportunities for safety related corrective actions.
- Enter safety issues needing Maintenance help into E-Maint.
- Audit and teach operators and Team Lead II on safety requirements through Zone Walks and LPA's.
- Work with Team Lead I's from other departments if safety issues originate in their area.
- Make sure that injury reports are filled out correctly - work with the Environmental Safety Coordinator on investigations. Ensure that Coaching - Job Hazard Analysis - Ergo Assessments are completed. Quality:
- First piece inspection to be performed as necessary.
- Identify read across opportunities on quality related corrective actions.
- Report root cause and corrective action of rejections at Fast Response.
- Maintain workmanship calendar.
- Alert Quality Assurance (QA) of quality issues on incoming components/materials, rejections and quarantine within the department.
- Identify opportunities for Zone Quality Control (ZQC) and work with Team Lead II and the Process Control Team (PCT) to implement changes.
- Audit and teach operators and Team Lead II on quality requirements through Zone Walks and LPA's.
- Enter quality issues needing Maintenance Team help into E-Maint.
- Alert Area Manager if support departments are falling behind.
- Assist with design of processes for quality assurance. Productivity:
- Identify read across opportunities on productivity related corrective actions.
- Train and develop Team Lead II's set up and machine adjustment abilities.
- Track and trend daily productivity.
- Identify waste in our processes. Encourage operators and Team Lead II to trial/test ideas for eliminating or greatly reducing the identified waste.
- Enter productivity issues needing Maintenance Team help into E-Maint.
- Alert Maintenance Manager and Planner when equipment is down.
- Audit and teach operators and Team Lead II's on standard work through Zone Walks and LPA's.
- Share Continuous Improvement (CI) opportunities with AM.
- Identify consistently underperforming assets and operators and develop an improvement plan.
- Bring up problems affecting production over the next 24hrs during Hot Start.
- Maintain three CI projects at all times. On Time Delivery:
- Daily review of delivery of Yield to Maturity (YTM) and upcoming order with the planner and identify bottlenecks throughout the Value Stream that negatively affect OTD.
- Notify the Planner/Scheduler and Area Manager of OTD orders, over loaded work stations, and offer offloading options. Employee Morale:
- Ensure that you are talking to each associate multiple times a day.
- Work with Lead II's to address day to day operator complaints.
- Assure that operator complaints are dealt with in a timely manner. If it is not a quick fix, alert the operator(s) of what the plan and timeline to fix the problem.
- Empower operators and Team Lead II's to take ownership of their work stations and zones.
- Assure that completed projects and work orders are discussed at shift meetings.
- Communication of ongoing improvement projects and how employee concerns are being addressed.
- Ensure expectations are clearly communicated so that employees know "win or lose."
- End each team meeting with appreciation and safety message.
- Be a change agent! Training:
- Ensure that new hire training packets are distributed and assigned training has been completed per Timken Drives standardized procedures.
- Participate in Operational Frontline Leadership.
- Ensure that all associates follow Timken Drives:
- Ability to assign magnitude to departmental problems.
- Understanding of departmental Key Performance Indicator's (KPI) and what the ability to develop action plan to meet them.
- Strong understanding of the concept of value and waste and the ability to identify them in our processes.
- Driver of Zone Quality Control.
- Other duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements:
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Basic mechanical works experience.
- Must be safety cautious.
- Ability to give directions to team members.
- Have good time management skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills to relate with all members of the team. Education and/or Experience: High School Degree required. Associates Degree preferred and/or 5-7 years of manufacturing experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Forklift certification preferred. Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and complete necessary production forms. Ability to speak effectively with fellow employees and/or customers. Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables; problem solving ability. Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use hands/arms. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear at conversational level, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 50 pounds. Moving/lifting greater than 50 pounds requires assistance from another employee or a lifting device/hoist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Required Personal Protective Equipment: Employee is required to wear proper safety eyewear, hearing protection, and steel-toed shoes at all times while on the plant floor. Company Information: The Timken Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All associates and applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law. For additional information please visit our website Timken Careers http://www.timken.com/careers/.All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Keywords: The Timken Company, Davenport , Team Lead - Maintenance - 2nd Shift, Professions , Fulton, Iowa
here to apply!