Team Lead - 1st Shift (Chain Assembly)
Company: The Timken Company
Posted on: May 17, 2022
Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the
ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken.
Our associates make the world more productive by improving the
efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in
motion.Position Summary: The Operation Team Lead I is responsible
for the safety and productivity of all production employees staffed
on their designated shift. They ensure efficiency and quality of
assembly of manufactured goods. The Operation Team Lead I is
responsible for being a leadership resource, providing knowledge,
experience, motivation, support and advice to associates to follow
and ensure that they comply. Essential Job Duties: General
- Backup coverage for Area Manager (AM) on the floor, or when
- Meet with AM daily in daily review meeting.
- Lead daily department shift meetings.
- Meet weekly with Team Lead II's on issues brought up through Zone
- Assure that Team Lead II's are following problem solving
techniques when identifying root cause and corrective actions
regarding safety, quality, and productivity related issues.
- Report hot/cold starts at "Hot Start" meeting.
- Perform "Zone Walks" per shift as assigned.
- Work with Department Planner. Determine output by work center to
be used for capacity planning. Perform periodic process
observations for capacity update.
- Develop standards with operators, Team Lead II, and CI/Lean
Manager in the areas of safety, quality, and productivity.
- Fill out root cause and corrective action on zone sheet.
- Assure Preventative Maintenance (PM), Area Maintenance (AM), and
Cleaning Inspection Lubrication (CIL) are completed.
- Audit 5S (Sort, Sustain, Standardize, Set in Order, & Shine) on
Zone Walks and Layered Process Auditing (LPA). Teach operators and
Team Lead II's when standards are not followed.
- Input Zone Control Data into tracking system.
- Document/input weekly performance reviews.
- Partner with HR & Area Manager of any minor employee issues.
- Assure timecards are accurate by 3 hours into your daily shift
and approve vacation requests on an as needed basis.
- Audit responsibilities of Team Lead II and correct any
- Track performance expectations: employee coaching, ensure that
all employees have daily shift responsibilities scheduled and
start/ stop times are being monitored. Safety:
- Ensure that Preventative Based Safety (PBS) program is understood
and that you are encouraging participation with all associates.
- Work with Area Manager & Team Lead II and operators on fixing PBS
- Stop and fix un-safe actions as they occur. Teach operators and
Team Lead II the proper technique.
- Identify read across opportunities for safety related corrective
- Enter safety issues needing Maintenance help into E-Maint.
- Audit and teach operators and Team Lead II on safety requirements
through Zone Walks and LPA's.
- Work with Team Lead I's from other departments if safety issues
originate in their area.
- Make sure that injury reports are filled out correctly - work
with the Environmental Safety Coordinator on investigations. Ensure
that Coaching - Job Hazard Analysis - Ergo Assessments are
- First piece inspection to be performed as necessary.
- Identify read across opportunities on quality related corrective
- Report root cause and corrective action of rejections at Fast
- Maintain workmanship calendar.
- Alert Quality Assurance (QA) of quality issues on incoming
components/materials, rejections and quarantine within the
- Identify opportunities for Zone Quality Control (ZQC) and work
with Team Lead II and the Process Control Team (PCT) to implement
- Audit and teach operators and Team Lead II on quality
requirements through Zone Walks and LPA's.
- Enter quality issues needing Maintenance Team help into
- Alert Area Manager if support departments are falling behind.
- Assist with design of processes for quality assurance.
- Identify read across opportunities on productivity related
- Train and develop Team Lead II's set up and machine adjustment
- Track and trend daily productivity.
- Identify waste in our processes. Encourage operators and Team
Lead II to trial/test ideas for eliminating or greatly reducing the
- Enter productivity issues needing Maintenance Team help into
- Alert Maintenance Manager and Planner when equipment is down.
- Audit and teach operators and Team Lead II's on standard work
through Zone Walks and LPA's.
- Share Continuous Improvement (CI) opportunities with AM.
- Identify consistently underperforming assets and operators and
develop an improvement plan.
- Bring up problems affecting production over the next 24hrs during
- Maintain three CI projects at all times. On Time Delivery:
- Daily review of delivery of Yield to Maturity (YTM) and upcoming
order with the planner and identify bottlenecks throughout the
Value Stream that negatively affect OTD.
- Notify the Planner/Scheduler and Area Manager of OTD orders, over
loaded work stations, and offer offloading options. Employee
- Ensure that you are talking to each associate multiple times a
- Work with Lead II's to address day to day operator
- Assure that operator complaints are dealt with in a timely
manner. If it is not a quick fix, alert the operator(s) of what the
plan and timeline to fix the problem.
- Empower operators and Team Lead II's to take ownership of their
work stations and zones.
- Assure that completed projects and work orders are discussed at
- Communication of ongoing improvement projects and how employee
concerns are being addressed.
- Ensure expectations are clearly communicated so that employees
know "win or lose."
- End each team meeting with appreciation and safety message.
- Be a change agent! Training:
- Ensure that new hire training packets are distributed and
assigned training has been completed per Timken Drives standardized
- Participate in Operational Frontline Leadership.
- Ensure that all associates follow Timken Drives:
- o Safety procedures
- o Quality procedures
- o Problem Solving Techniques
- o Lean Basics (TKR)
- o 5S
- o Standard Work
- o PM/AM/CIL Additional Duties - Not Limited to:
- Ability to assign magnitude to departmental problems.
- Understanding of departmental Key Performance Indicator's (KPI)
and what the ability to develop action plan to meet them.
- Strong understanding of the concept of value and waste and the
ability to identify them in our processes.
- Driver of Zone Quality Control.
- Other duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements:
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Basic mechanical works experience.
- Must be safety cautious.
- Ability to give directions to team members.
- Have good time management skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills to relate with all members of
the team. Education and/or Experience: High School Degree required.
Associates Degree preferred and/or 5-7 years of manufacturing
experience. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Forklift
certification preferred. Language Skills: Ability to read and
interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine
reports and complete necessary production forms. Ability to speak
effectively with fellow employees and/or customers. Mathematical
Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as
probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane
and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such
as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical
situations. Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense
understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral,
schedule, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving
several variables; problem solving ability. Physical Demands: The
physical demands described here are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use hands/arms. The
employee is regularly required to talk, hear at conversational
level, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk,
climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must
regularly lift/move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25
pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 50 pounds. Moving/lifting
greater than 50 pounds requires assistance from another employee or
a lifting device/hoist. Specific vision abilities required by this
job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and
ability to adjust focus. Work Environment: The work environment
characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is
frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather
conditions, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to
extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the
work environment is usually loud.
Required Personal Protective Equipment: Employee is required to
wear proper safety eyewear, hearing protection, and steel-toed
shoes at all times while on the plant floor. Company Information:
The Timken Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All associates
and applicants shall be treated equally according to their
individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other
employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender
or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin,
ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military
status or any other basis protected by applicable law. For
additional information please visit our website Timken Careers
http://www.timken.com/careers/.All qualified applicants shall be
treated equally according to their individual qualifications,
abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will
be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race,
religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual
orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected
by applicable law.
Keywords: The Timken Company, Davenport , Team Lead - 1st Shift (Chain Assembly), Professions , Fulton, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!