The Patient Access Associate is responsible for obtaining
accurate and thorough demographic and financial information for
each patient visit. Ensures that appropriate signatures, financial
information and precertification requirements are secured. Screens
for benefit eligibility on appropriate accounts. Informs/educates
patients that have not been pre-registered of their financial
responsibility reviewing deductibles, coinsurance, allowable and
copayments. An estimate is developed and reviewed with each
patient. Collection process is initiated and posted to the
When these functions are completed with accuracy this process
will ensure patient safety through appropriate identification,
maximum reimbursement for hospital charges and compliance with all
state and federal regulations.
Interacts in a customer focused and compassionate manner to
ensure patients and their representative's needs are met, and that
they understand the medical center's policies for the resolution of
patient financial liabilities and the various available payment
UnityPoint Health - Trinity, in the Quad Cities, is a regional
integrated health care delivery system including four full-service
hospitals in Rock Island and Moline, Illinois and Bettendorf and
Muscatine, Iowa with a total of 584 licensed inpatient beds.
Trinity's hospitals, clinics, home health care agency, mental
health center, health sciences college and residency program employ
more than 3,000 employees. Together, we are working toward
physician-driven, patient-centered care to achieve our vision of
delivering the best outcome for every patient, every time.
The Quad Cities is a connected, creative and prosperous bi-state
community on the banks of the mighty Mississippi River. The region
is made up of Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa - Moline, East
Moline, and Rock island in Illinois - and other surrounding
communities. The Quad Cities is a great place to live and work. It
offers something for everyone including arts and culture, amazing
festivals and events, innovative and superior schools and
universities, and quality healthcare. The Quad Cities is a premier
destination for young professionals and families and sits only
hours away from Chicago, St. Louis, and Des Moines.
- Accurately and thoroughly collects, analyzes and records
demographic, insurance/financial and clinical data in computer
system. Ensures information source is appropriate.
- Updates and edits information in computer, ensuring that all
fields are populated correctly and appropriately.
- Completes eligibility check and obtain benefits though
electronic means or via phone contact with insurance carriers or
- Contacts patients/families/physicians to obtain additional
demographic/insurance information and update in computer system if
needed in order to proceed with verification process.
- Interpret physicians' hand-carried orders to determine service
needs and scans physician orders or verifies that complete and
valid orders are on file for each patient.
- Obtains information and completes MSPQ and other payer-specific
- Reviews and explains all registration forms prior to obtaining
signatures from patient or appropriate patient representative.
- Explain benefits and request copay as well as deductible and
coinsurance as applicable.
- Identifies prearranged payment commitment and follows
instructions as outlined by the financial clearance
- Completes registration checklist.
- Ensure that all monies collected are secure or turned over to
appropriate associates/cash posting specialists.
- Documents in system (comment field in demographic screen or
hospital account note) any activity comments.
- Identifies patients in financial hardship and refer to Patient
Financial Coordinators/Certified Application Counselors for
- Refers to Cash Posting Specialists requiring payment
- Ensures each patient's identification band is correct by asking
the patient to review the information and initial the band and then
assure it is securely fastened upon completion of this
- Notify patients of need for ABN (for Medicare) or noncovered
- Documents on accounts using hospital account note with activity
comments to ensure easy account followup.
- Identifies payer requirements for preauthorization. If
preauthorization not in place, contact Financial Clearance
- Performs followup visits to patients in nursing areas, ER
treatment room or clinical departments to obtain additional
registration information, documents and/or signatures. Followup may
be performed via phone if appropriate to the situation (making sure
a witness is on hand if necessary).
- Arranges or assists with patient transport as necessary.
- Answers phones and routes calls as necessary.
- Maintains physician not in system master file as instructed and
- Monitors and maintains multiple work queues as instructed and
- Monitor tracking system and print orders and transcribe and
scan into computer system.
- Contacts patients/families for preregistration to obtain
additional demographic/insurance information and update in computer
system if needed in order to proceed with verification
- Requests patient to bring required documents on day of service,
i.e., physician orders, insurance cards, claim forms, liability
information, photo ID, etc.
- Documents in system the need for front-end patient access
associates to collect at time of service any copay or deductible
that could not be collected during the preregistration
Education: Requires minimally a high school diploma or GED. Some
college is preferred.
License(s)/Certification(s): Hands only CPR
Experience: Prior customer service experience required. Two
years of experience in a hospital patient access/patient accounts
department, medical office/clinic or insurance company preferred.
Experience interacting with patients and a working knowledge of
third party payers and collection preferred. Prior experience with
verification and payer benefit and eligibility systems preferred.
Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Technical aptitude - ability to
learn new systems quickly. Data entry. Communication - both written
and verbal. Customer/Patient focused. Interpersonal skills.
Managing priorities. Multicultural sensitivity. Planning/organizing
skills. Problem solving
Professionalism. Teamwork. Flexibility of schedule.
Other: Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform
essential functions of the position.