Equipment Operator - Cessford Construction - Burlington, IA
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Job ID: 290860
Cessford Construction Company, an Oldcastle Materials Company,
is a supplier of construction materials servicing Central Iowa,
Southeast Iowa and West Central Illinois. Those materials include
hot mix asphalt, crushed limestone, sand and gravel and ready mix
concrete. With multiple locations, Cessford offers a variety of
employment opportunities for people throughout Iowa and Western
The Equipment Operator is responsible for operating a variety of
equipment for groundwork and construction purposes. The career
field for "Equipment Operator" includes, but may not be limited to,
the following positions: Equipment Operator (Grade and Pave Crew),
Heavy Equipment Operator, Roller Operator (Self-Propelled, Asphalt,
Other than Asphalt), Motor Grader Operator (Rough Grade), Concrete
Grinder/Milling Machine Operator, Backhoe Operator, Bobcat
Operator, Bulldozer/Push Dozer Operator, Concrete Finishing Machine
Operator, Asphalt Paver Machine Operator.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Operate heavy equipment of various sizes and weights, safely
- Follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for safe
working procedures and environment.
- Report any problems to the Foreman, Superintendent, Safety
Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
- Follow direction of Foreman as to daily tasks and expectations
for each specific project or jobsite.
- Perform minor servicing and maintenance of equipment; refer
major problems to the supervisor.
- Perform daily pre-and-post inspections with appropriate
documentation in compliance with company policies.
- Assist in training less-experienced employees on the proper
operations, servicing, and repair of equipment to further their
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is
- Other duties as may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Experience preferred but not required. Willing to train the
right candidate who is looking to learn.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal
- Must possess valid DOT Medical Card
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as
outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers
or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must maintain current driver's license that meets state
requirements, i.e., CDL, Class A and/or B Driver with possible
hazmat and tanker endorsements.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment
(PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by
OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but
not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard
toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Knowledge in operating heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to heavy
equipment operations and construction sites.
- Knowledge of trenching and shoring standards.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently under a
variety of working conditions.
- Ability to read, write and do basic mathematical calculations
in order to keep time and material records, and read blueprints or
other project documents.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in
- Ability to operate heavy and complex equipment requiring skill
and the exercise of independent judgment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate
objects or controls, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl,
talk and hear.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance,
peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to climb ladders and to work at heights.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to exert up to 10-20 lbs. constantly to move
objects, 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and 50-100 lbs. of force
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be
occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical
parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and
risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be
loud, but is typically moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended
to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria
necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be
assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to
modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North
America's largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the
hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid
to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family.
Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure,
letting you work in a small company environment while having the
career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you're up for a rewarding
challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today!
Please complete your online application and profile which will be
sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your
interest in the Oldcastle family!
Follow Oldcastle Careers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,
Google+, Pinterest, WordPress (Career Blog) and LinkedIn!
Cessford Construction Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on
Cessford Construction Company is part of the Oldcastlecareers
Date Posted: Jun 3, 2021
Keywords: CRH, Davenport , Equipment Operator - Cessford Construction - Burlington, IA, Other , Burlington, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!