Medical Assistant 32 hours per week
Company: Orthopaedic Specialists PC
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Job DescriptionMedical AssistantPOSITION: Medical
AssistantRESPONSIBLE TO: Clinical Lead / Practice Administrator /
Executive DirectorJOB SUMMARY: Perform administrative and certain
clinical duties under the direction of physician. Administrative
duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical
records, and collecting data for quality metrics. Clinical duties
typically include rooming patients, taking and recording vital
signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination,
and administering medications as directed by physiciaEDUCATIONAL
- High school diploma required.
- Successful completion of a medical assistant program,
- Training in orthopedics preferred.QUALIFICATIONS AND
- Minimum two years' experience working in a physician practice
scheduling appointments preferred.
- Experience in calling in pharmacy requests.
- Comfortable using email and interacting with Internet
- Computer literate—with keyboard skills and knowledge of
practice management and word processing software
- Ability to work with outside clinic staff with a friendly and
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, reliable and
- Ability to perform multiple and diverse tasks
- Ability to work with scheduling changes that may occur
- Ability to make independent decisions with information
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with patients, coworkers, other health care providers
and the public under stressful conditions.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Neat, professional appearance.Responsibilities include, but are
not limited to, the following:Duties:
- Reviews charts at least 24 hours in advance of scheduled
appointment to ensure lab results, x-rays, and MRI/CT results have
been received; calls testing facility if results have not been
- Greets patients and escorts them from the reception room to
- Prepares patients for exam or treatment by taking a history,
height/weight, and blood pressure, then recording the information
in the patient's chart
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary
- Puts charts up for physicians when patient is ready in exam
- Assists physicians in preparing for examinations and minor
- Prepares injections for physician (only if trained and
instructed by clinical lead).
- Schedules CT scans, MRIs, and other off site tests as
- Reviews pre-operative instructions and explains the surgical
process to patients who are about to have surgery
- Observes, records and reports patient's condition and reaction
to drugs and treatments to physician
- Formulates and updates patient care plans
- Ensures that pertinent laboratory results are reviewed by the
- Disposes of contaminated items according to OSHA
- Performs patient education duties; shows surgical videos, hands
out brochures, and directs patients to specific Internet sites for
- Returns patient phone messages at designated times throughout
the day; documents action taken in patient chart
- Oversees appointment bookings and ensures emergency situations
are scheduled appropriately; maintains timely flow of patients
- Completes appropriate paperwork to ensure that the
pre-certification department has sufficient time to complete
- Communicates physician referral requests to staff for necessary
- Replenishes supplies—stocks and cleans exam rooms and manages
supply of pharmaceutical supplies and samples
- Oversees preparation of exam rooms, including re-stocking of
treatment areasOtherMaintains patient confidentiality; complies
with HIPAA and compliance guidelines established by the practice.
- Maintains detailed knowledge of practice management and other
computer software as it relates to job functions
- Attends annual CPR, OSHA training programs
- Assists in keeping working area clean at all times.
- Attends all meetings as requested.
- Performs any additional duties as requested by the Lead.
- Sets and exemplifies high ethical standards and holds self and
others accountable for conduct.Adheres to ORTHO Standards of
- Own the Moment
- Manages time effectively, meets deadlines, and achieves
established goals and objectives.
- Relentlessly communicate the why, what, when, and how.
- Makes moments matter.
- Manages up other providers, divisions, departments, and
- Respect Others
- Demonstrates a welcoming attitude at all times.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs, concerns and opinions of
- Encourages and promotes a work environment in which all
individual differences are valued, respected and welcomed.
- Treats others with dignity and respect.
- Target Opportunities
- Seeks direction, responds positively and readily adapts to a
change in the work environment.
- Changes behavior in response to feedback and learns from
- Functions effectively in uncertain or stressful
- Accepts, promotes, and navigates change positively.
- Responds constructively to change.
- Heighten Teamwork
- Understands how individual job tasks, responsibilities and
projects relate to the organizational goals.
- Listens first in order to understand.
- Models a mindset that positively moves us all forward.
- Cooperates with others to attain common goals.
- Rewards and recognizes the contributions of team members.
- Ooze Excellence
- Serves as a role model, leading by example.
- Creates and maintains an excuse free culture.
- Motivates others to accomplish goals.
- Exhibits flexibility
- Uses participatory decision making and encourages others to
take initiative and reach their full potential.Supervisory
ResponsibilitiesThis job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Typical Physical DemandsPosition requires full range of body motion
including handling and lifting patients, as well as manual and
finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Involves standing and
walking. Employee will occasionally be asked to lift and carry
items weighing up to 70 pounds. Normal visual acuity and hearing
are required. Employee will work under stressful conditions, and
work irregular hours. Employee will be exposed to bodily fluids on
a regular basis.Typical Working ConditionsEmployee will have
frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances,
ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions
common to a clinical environment.
Keywords: Orthopaedic Specialists PC, Davenport , Medical Assistant 32 hours per week, Healthcare , Davenport, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!