Program Director - Membership/Personal Training
Posted on: August 7, 2022
The YMCA IMV has an excellent advancement opportunity for an
up-and-coming Fitness professional at our NEW North Scott YMCA
branch!Job DescriptionWe are currently seeking a results driven
leader with demonstrated impact to lead Membership and Personal
Training for our New North Scott YMCA branch location.Perks of
working at the Y!The Y provides a total compensation package that
includes a competitive salary, benefits and other perks as outlined
below.Salary:$40,000 annuallyBenefits:As a full-time, salary/exempt
employee, our competitive benefit package includes:
- Health insurance: Y pays 65-93% for individual and 57-82% for
family; Dental: Y pays 65%; Vision available
- Flexible Spending Account/Health Savings Account
- Y Retirement Fund: Y pays 12% after employee meets eligibility
- Eligible to participate in 403B savings account through Y
- Paid Time Off: Begins accruing at 21 days per year up to a max
of 32. Caps at 256 hours
- Life Insurance: Y pays 1 X salary, EE has option to purchase
- Long Term Disability: Paid by the Y; Employee can elect to
purchase Short Term Disability
- EAP program: Paid by the YY Perks:
- Paid Time Off: Accrues monthly up to 21 days per year , max
over time of up to 32 days. Caps at 256 hours
- Free household YMCA membership! Discounts on programs
- Child Care discount 25%; Summer Camp discountsSince 1858, the
YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley has been an integral part of
the Quad Cities area. With 6 branches, numerous child care
locations and Camp Abe Lincoln, we continue to grow and strengthen
the community to bring about positive change. The Quad Cities area,
on the Mississippi River, is home to a more than 27,000 businesses
including John Deere World Headquarters, Arconic, Kraft, Exelon and
a major military installation - the Rock Island Arsenal. We have
low cost of living, great school systems and several higher
education institutions. Here you can experience a variety of
extra-curricular activities similar to those found in big cities
but with a small town feel such as arts, baseball, big name
concerts and events, and much more!The qualified candidate will
possess at a minimum:
- Demonstrated ability to create a member-focused culture and
model relationship-building skills in all interactions.
- Ability to build solid relationships with diverse groups of
people from all social and economic segments of the community to
grow and retain membership.
- Strong ability to effectively communicate with program
participants, members and community partners.
- Ability to foster a climate of innovation and resolve problems
to ensure member satisfaction.
- Prior experience with staff supervision and development.
- Prior experience in personal training/wellness and training
clients.The Program Director-Membership/Personal Training directs
all aspects of membership and fitness for the branch including
recruitment of new members, retention of existing members and
supervision of assigned staff. The Program Director will also
develop, administer and supervise personal training and/wellness
programming for the branch. The Program Director is required to
spend 50% of their workweek on the floor performing Personal
Training and 50% at the Membership front desk. The Program Director
will position the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley as a leader
in fitness in the community. -Supervisory Responsibility:
- Responsible for supervision of all membership and Personal
- Bachelors degree in related field (Exercise Science) preferred
or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous supervisory experience in customer service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent personal computer skills and experience with standard
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from
all social and economic segments of the community.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Prior personal training/fitness/wellness and customer service
- Must possess general health and wellness knowledge including
biomechanics, anatomy, nutrition, injury prevention, cardiovascular
and strength training principles, coaching skills and basic machine
and facility maintenance
- Minimum of 2 years experience training clients.Physical
Demands:This position is expected to be able to successfully
perform all physical activities necessary to perform essential and
related functions of the position including climbing, balancing,
stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling,
talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. This position is expected
to be able to demonstrate all training aspects of a workout which
can be described as medium to strenuous work and will vary by
client. Must be able to frequently lift a minimum of 45 pounds
efficiently and safely. While performing the duties of the job, the
employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee
will regularly be required to see at close and distant vision, have
good peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust
focus.Work EnvironmentWhile performing the duties of the job, the
employee will primarily work indoors and regularly be exposed to
moderate temperatures and perform work near moving mechanical parts
(associated with physical fitness equipment). The noise level can
vary from quiet to moderate depending upon the usage and activity
in the rooms in which they are working. This position works in a
variety of environments which can include but are not limited to,
office settings, gymnasiums, and outdoors. This position works a
varied work week as determined by the needs required to manage
operations and events of which can include working evening,
weekend, and additional hours to accommodate activities
representing the organization and branch operation.Essential
- Serve as a role model to members, Y staff and, at all times
live the mission, vision and values of the YMCA movement.
- Maintain a positive attitude and act in a professional manner
when interacting with members, program participants and other staff
at all times.
- Adhere to and ensure all Membership and Personal Training staff
are knowledgeable in all branch emergency procedures and carry them
out when needed.
- Implements membership strategies that support recruitment of
new members and retention of existing members. Creates a
member-focused culture and models relationship-building skills in
all interactions. Fosters a climate of innovation and resolves
problems to ensure member satisfaction.
- Trains, develops, schedules and directs membership and personal
training staff as needed. Reviews, provides feedback and evaluates
staff performance to ensure they are executing their duties at a
high level and following the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley
Memberships Best Practices. Develops strategies to coach and
motivate staff to achieve individual and department goals.
- Promotes program and membership enrollment in interactions with
existing and potential members. Able to effectively tailor
communications to the appropriate audience.
- Participates in the planning of the annual budget for
membership and personal training departments; manages and
implements the approved budget for both departments and takes
appropriate action to correct variances, specifically with staffing
- Ensures proper implementation of front desk procedures. Reviews
and updates desk procedures and communicates changes to staff.
Coordinates with the Branch Executive and Corporate office as
necessary on financial transactions and membership processing.
- Organizes membership events at the YMCA and represents the YMCA
at community events to promote the YMCA.
- Prepare and distribute Tour thank you notes, new member welcome
letters and new member information packets. Report member and guest
comments, suggestions, complaints, concerns, and problems to the
supervisor in a timely manner.
- Maintain a high-level, first impression by having clean,
clutter-free and attractive reception and lobby areas.
- Complete reports, as required, on schedule and submit them to
- Create and manage the personal training and wellness schedules
to include individual, group training and/or special population
- Maintain fitness equipment and report any damaged
- Verify that member has completed all necessary paperwork prior
to starting a workout.
- Introduce new participant to members and work on making
connections and building relationships.
- Maintain phone/email contact with participants in the Personal
Training program and/or special population programs.
- Able to perform full fitness assessments at all skill levels,
evaluate the outcome and write appropriate exercise prescriptions
based on goals and ACSM guidelines.
- Promote all health & wellness programs to members, program
participants and staff.
- Listen and respond to complaints and suggestions calmly and
- Process and monitor payroll for all membership and personal
- Ensure health & wellness staff are staying within their scope
- Report any accidents, concerns, or equipment issues to Branch
Exec immediately and complete appropriate paperwork.
- Return all equipment and supplies used to proper location after
each session. Set a good example to other members by treating
equipment with respect and cleaning it after each use.
- Keep all work areas clean and organized.
- Participate in and solicit others to participate in necessary
YMCA financial development efforts, specifically the Annual
- Maintain certifications listed under Certificates and Other
- Adherence to all policies and procedures of the YMCA of the
Iowa Mississippi Valley.
- Understand and follow all safety rules and regulations
including knowledge of emergency procedures and location of
- Regular and timely adherence to respective
- All other duties as assigned by the Branch ExecutiveRequired
- Must be able to pass background check
- CPR/First Aid/AED certification - must have prior to hire
- Must be able to pass the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley
CCC training and Cash Handling training
- Nationally Recognized Personal Training Certification (AFAA,
ACE, NSCA, NASM, or ACSM certification)
Keywords: YMCA, Davenport , Program Director - Membership/Personal Training, Executive , Davenport, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!